Like the food pyramid, the plate contains six major food groups: fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, grains and oils.
- Fruits. The fruit group includes any whole fruit or 100 percent fruit juice.
- Vegetables. The vegetable group includes any whole vegetables or 100 percent vegetable juice.
Then, what are the five main food groups?
A balanced diet is made up of the five food groups.
- 1 Carbohydrates. This group contains starchy foods such as pasta, rice, oats, potatoes, noodles, yam, green bananas, sweet potato, millet, couscous, breads, breakfasts cereals, barley and rye.
- 2 Protein.
- 3 Milk and dairy products.
- 4 Fruit and vegetables.
- 5 Fats and sugars.
What are the basic food groups?
The basic food groups are:
- breads, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles and other grains.
- vegetables and legumes.
- milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives.
- lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts and legumes.