While often a sun-loving vine, sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora) is specifically suited to shade. It produces fragrant white blooms in the fall and is an extremely vigorous grower, growing up to 25 feet in one season. It can be invasive, so weed it out and prune it back aggressively if it spreads too far.
Simply so, what are the best climbing plants?
30 of the best climbing plants
- 1: Pileostegia viburnoides. Self-clinging, evergreen and shade tolerant with frothy white flowers in late summer.
- 2: Parthenocissus henryana.
- 3: Hydrangea anomala subsp.
- 4: Jasminum nudiflorum.
- 5: Trachelospermum jasminoides.
- 6: Hedera algeriensis 'Gloire de Marengo'
- 7: Lonicera x tellmanniana.
- 8: Cobaea scandens.
How long does it take to grow honeysuckle?
In a woody plant, fast growth means more than 2 to 3 feet per year. Honeysuckles easily outdo that by growing from 7 to 30 feet, depending on the variety and conditions. Because flowers are produced on 1- or 2-year-old wood, the vine should be pruned back after flowering every year so it can produce new wood.